Thursday 22 May 2008

intention and delivery

So, I thought... get set up and start blogging... interesting stuff happens to you everyday and how difficult can it be to stick some thoughts down daily... INTENTION.
Hmm, well my last post was on Sunday 18th and here we are at Thursday 22nd and i've just sat down... how bad is that at keeping the intention going!
The fact that I've had 3 days on the trot up at 5.00am with a drive to Bristol... I certainly shouldn't mention the one hour and twenty minute door to door trip last night from Bristol to Copythorne to watch Chelsea with a few CFC fans (we wuz robbed by the woodwork before the penalties)... I know I drive a Saab by didn't realise they had a wings function like their airplanes till last night! But this is diversion and obfuscation... I must get better at delivering a daily blog.

On Wednesday the management team had an update on Diversity policy and Equal Opportunities law.
We used a number of real case studies that were frankly quite frightening. In each case both the company and the manager concerned in the tribunal were found to have breached the law and the managers were found personally responsible and liable to the tune of up to £40,000 in awards against them! In one case it led to the manager losing his job and his house to pay the award.
On the face of things in each case, the managers had behaved reasonably and even 3 years ago would not have been held responsible... but the litigeous approach to life on the 'other side of the pond' is being reflected in the UK.
Over 50% of the case studies were examples of religious discrimination of muslims.
In the slides (inevitable death by powerpoint) Discrimination against Muslims, Jews, Seikhs were listed. I asked what about Christians? The answer? You can't discriminate against Christians can you? Hmm... I continued the discussion over lunch. The HR trainer, a well educated and quite persuasive lady could not see how in a 'Christian country' (she professed no faith but thought there was a God) Christians could be discriminated against in the workplace. We have real problems when global organisations (I work for one) employ folk to train their managers with these beliefs...

1 comment:

Chris said...

Interesting insight. I'm surprised she thought we were a Christian country, most people I meet are against the idea.

Made me think though, what makes a country a Christian one? I know what makes a person a Christian.

I think the idea of Christian country harks back to Christendom, the marriage of church and state that has been the case in Europe for the last 1700 years or so, but is fading fast. I'm not convinced it was all that helpful, in fact it has been very unhelpful by dulling the church's real missionary focus.

So ... get rid of the Christian country attitude and maybe we'll see what the church is really good at!